Saturday, March 27, 2010

Some Basic Strands of My Life Story

Until recently, I have lived most of my life (19 years) in Malawi. As much as it offered the comfort of being within familiar settings and culture, it offered me a single story about life. A story that had similar beliefs, religion, values and culture. It lacked the possibility of challenging my acquired beliefs. It was a single story of women who had accepted less than they deserved, those who refused to take the challenge to become leaders. A story that sidelined women to conventional careers.

My acceptance into the United States Achievers Program (USAP Malawi) in 2008 was the beginning of a journey that would redefine the single story I had been made to believe. I realized that I had the power to either be the victim of my circumstances or be the master of them. I was empowered to believe that a better tomorrow begins with me today.

Well,now that am part of the global community in a small town in Ithaca,NY,my life story has taken a leap into new definitions. I have quite a different view on everything,whether for or against. I wish I studied everything from Law to International Relations to Gender Studies to Economics. My undergraduate career at Cornell University and thereafter will be spent understanding the Interdisciplinary nature of Health; The One Health Approach.

1 comment: